Tuesday, February 20, 2007

THE RETURN OF CC PART 2

So, let's see where our story left off, oh yes, so CC has been going to meetings almost everyday now, if not then every other. He says he feels real good when he comes out of a meeting. He has floated around a bit, going to AA, CA & NA and has even met some guys at meetings that he made a connection with. So in that respect, things are going well. I am very proud of him for sticking to the meeting thing- but like I said, he feels good about things when he comes out of them, so shit, go every night if you want. The first real test came this past Friday when an old friend of ours and incidentally the friend who just so happened to have gotten CC started on coke all those years ago and would sit in my apartment with CC and do rails on my coffee table (unbenounced to me of course) called and asked CC to play a game of hockey like shimmy of shinny or shiney or what ever the hell they call it. So CC was all gung ho and I was worried- so worried. But let me tell you, he was home directly afterwards- called me to tell me he was off the ice, and then called me on the way home and yep, came straight home. He said the guys all went up to the bar for beers and of course there are the others who stand out in the parking lot and smoke joints (so juvenile) and he got showered, dressed and came straight home. He could have gone up with them, had a pop or something but even he said, he didn't want to put himself in the situation... So good for him. Now, the next issue- work- he hasn't gone back yet, he's got some offers, but he is scared, and rightly so, and was trying to hold out for something with a little less hours maybe or something with guys he wouldn't know or I dunno- he was just scared. Anyway now he has an opportunity to work for the school board doing all their plumbing and shit like that I guess- I don't even know. So he had to get a police check and all this shit and he is actually starting on Monday. He isn't thrilled about the job, I wouldn't be either- and the money sucks ass, but it is, if nothing else, a good transition back into reality. He works only about 6 hours a day- will be home for supper every night- not anywhere near the guys he was drinking doing drugs with, he actually will go from school to school- so anyway the money sucks, the job sucks, but its a good way for him to get back to work and still keep up with his meetings, his obligation to family and then after a while if he feels he can handle it and he has some sobriety behind him, he can get something a little more substantial- if he wants to - apparently this is a pretty hard job to get fired from- meaning it is a job for life if he wants it- but again the money sucks and we are in so much debt- but anyway his sobriety and commitment to his family far outweighs all of that- we'll just pay everything off slower, and manage with what we have. So I guess you could say things are going pretty good. Oh let me tell you this- so Valentines' Day was the other day and he's all out and about looking to get me something which I told him not to anyway. My big thing is cards- buy me a card and write something mushy in it and I am happy. Besides, he never buys me anything for anything-no birthdays, anniversaries, mother's day valentines, maybe Christmas sometimes, but other than that he doesn't get me anything ever so just the fact he wanted to and went out and made the effort was enough for me. Anyway he came back disappointed, and told me he could get what he wanted to get me but it would take 3 days. I didn't want to know in a way- I love surprises and don't get many of them I might add- but I figure I had better know to make sure he wasn't spending money we didn't have or shouldn't be spending anyway . He gladly told me and I swear it took every thing I had not to cry. He asks me "Do you know that poem Footprints?" and yes, I do I think S has it up in her house somewhere- But anyway even though it is god-ish, I actually like it- I think it is so sweet. Anyway he wanted to get me a print of that and get it in a nice frame to hang in our room. So I asked him, even though the gesture itself was sweet and so unlike him, why he would have thought of that particular poem for me. And do you know what he said? DO YOU? He said, because when he looks back at all of our years together and all we've been through, that's what he feels- he feels like I carried him through all the tough times in our lives. I got all veclempt and almost cried. I told him I didn't need it to be physically in our home, and that it was the sweetest thing ever... we're still looking for the poster of it and we'll get it framed, the way he was going to do it would have cost over $200.00- he's sweet for wanting to do it- but he has no money sense at all- anyway .. there, there is a sweet CC story to end this post... let's hope there's plenty more to come instead of all my I HATE CC posts....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is so much in CC that I see from my dad also and I feel like I can really relate to your feelings. I am so happy to hear that he is doing very well. The Valetine's gift is very sweet too. I wish you the best!

Bardouble29 said...

Wow, I found you from Echos blog. I wanted to cry reading this. You are a brave, strong woman.

cjtato said...

Good luck with this journey Jenna.

You and the kids deserve this. I really hope with all my heart that this works out for you guys.

And, Wow! to him wanting to do something that unique and special for you.

As you said, it is nice to be able to write of something sweet rather than bitter.

Bet the kids are enjoying having their Dad at home (really home).

katherine. said...

I was glad to see you back this week...and happy for you that the beginning seems to be going well.

Patty said...

Hi Jenna,

Sounds like some very wonderful things have been happening to you while I have been away on vacation. WOO! HOO! I am happy for all of you, and proud of how you have hung in there no matter what! You deserve some happiness, enjoy the moments.