Monday, July 16, 2007

I MAY AS WELL RENT A ROOM THERE...

So what Sunday would not be complete without a trip to the local hospital- that seems to be a constant with me lately- this time I am happy to say, it was not serious.. So Saturday little Pickle was feeling sniffly and ended up, as she always does when she is not feeling well, have a nappy noodle. So she slept and slept until about 10 at night and then awoke, still stuffy, but hungry and of course wide awake. Now because I am a night owl, I was up with her until at least 3 a.m. I got her dinner, gave her a dose of Advil or Tylenol or something like that and went to bed... at 10 the next morning, I get a tap on my shoulder, and no it wasn't the ghost, but little Pickle. She said nothing and when I turned around I saw her face and jumped right out of bed. Even CC jumped up- her eye was swollen, and I mean swollen right shut- What happened? I asked her- she didn't know- she had not a clue but it didn't hurt and it didn't itch... bizarre. So I got up and got dressed, and dressed her- and off we went to the walk-in clinic.. Of course there was the regular drama- "But that was my best eye"! "Am I going to die?" "Will I have to get my eye cut off?" "What if it never goes away" "I look awful!" and on and on... When we saw the Dr. he looked overly concerned. I thought for sure he would tell me it was a bug bite (although we hadn't even left the house on Saturday) or something was in her eye- or it was allergies or from her cold or something.. but he kept humming and hawing.. looking and looking again.. So then he tells me he thinks it would be a good idea if we went to the hospital. So I am like What?? What do you mean? So basically, because there was no evidence of a bite- he suspected that it was something more serious called " periorbital cellulitis" or something like that that can really fuck you up- something about it sending signals to the brain or that it blocks signals to the brain or something- really weird.. so anyway it is quite serious apparently and he sent us to the hospital for further evaluation..So we go to the hospital and now Pickle is getting even more dramatic.. she tries to convince me- now get this- that the reason that her eye is puffy is because she was trying so hard to sniff up her boogies that they went to her eye!! The night before she was incredibly frustrated because she couldn't breathe through her nose- she tried to sniff I mean she tried so heard her eyes were bulging out and I convinced her sniffing wouldn't help and that she had to blow instead- so she thought that when she could finally sniff, she sniffed all the boogies into her eye making it puffy! Hilarious!?? Yes! But, pretty smart too I think.. I mean I know it couldn't happen- but her thought process is just incredible... anyway the Dr. finally sees her and determines no, it is not that freaky eye thing and that regardless of what it is, it should be gone in 24 hours... No antibiotics, no nothing.. and we go home.. and sure enough today it is about 90% better with very little evidence of the swelling at all- Her best eye is saved!!! I'll post a pick her of her eye - this is after the swelling went down enough that she could see out of it- and she was very happy as you can see.. ohhh.. my life is so interesting isn't it?? Geeezzz.....

3 comments:

A Girl Called Chandler Bing said...

OMG she is related to me!!!!! Ask your sister about my gross-out swollen eye episode...exactly the same thing and I thought my skin was gonna rip around my eye socket it was sooooo swollen! Hillarious! I am VERY glad to hear it wasn't something serious...you've had enough with serious doctor's visits I'm thinking!

Anonymous said...

WHAAA! That's freaking crazy but I totally know how she feels! When my allergies act up I've woken up with my eyes swollen shut too! Glad she's feeling (and seeing) better. And great pic too :)

cjtato said...

Glad to hear all is well but I must say I get quite a laugh out of Pickle. I think between her and my daughter there would be no room for any other uh...looking for the right word...entertainment? LOL

Can't believe how clever Miss Pickle is.